Featured Post

Popol Vuh: The Definitive Edition of the Mayan Book of the Dawn of Life and the Glories of Gods and Kings by Dennis Tedlock

This volume can be divided into two parts. First is the introduction of the Popol Vuh; second, the translation of the work itself. It is...

Saturday, October 09, 2010

Why I Like Reading

Most of the people who know me from my high school days to the preset think I've always been obsessed with books. I wouldn't call it 'obsession' and I've never started reading books (from cover to cover) since I read Edith Hamilton's 'Mythology' when I was thirteen.

I never read my textbooks, or my notes for that matter. But I've started taking writing seriously when I was ten. I never expected my teachers and classmates would find my essays interesting. When I started earning better grades without taking a lot of effort, not that I've always had bad grades but I was considered a mediocre student, it made me want to read my books. For most writers (and honor students), exposure to reading materials precede or result to a good writing or an excellent grade. It was the other way around for me. I started quite late, but it wasn't too late.

My mother bought me my first paperback as a birthday gift. At that time I was immensely interested in mythology and folklore, specifically Greek. I started expanding my horizons a year after. I explored history (mostly topics not discussed in class), archaeology and anthropology. My obsession with the latter two was spurned by the abundance of National Geographic magazines at home. There were plenty of books in my high school library that were interesting but are not usually discussed in class. I started borrowing novels by Agatha Christie later on. And while I was reading one of her books, I recalled one book we had at home that I never got to finish. I looked for Dean Koontz's 'Lightning'. By that time I was already reading philosopy and psychology. There was also one book that I found very interesting. It was called 'Soul on Ice' by Eldridge Cleaver. It was the first autobiography book I read. The most interesting parts were the last few chapters of the book where the writer talked about his philosophy in life.

You may be wondering why I bothered to mention the kind of books I read at that time. Although I was fifteen, our country's curriculum does not offer the kind of opportunity for learning that other countries do. Most kids here are rarely familiar with most classic works. To be able to read them, you would have to look for the materials yourself. And so I read whatever book or journal I can find in the library.

My parents were avid readers too. My mother named me after a character in a romance novel. My father owns most of the books at home before me and my sisters started collecting our own. It was his copy of Koontz's 'Lightning' that introduced me to the wonderful world of that writer. And I think I got his interest on politics, warfare and history too.

I never read books that were related to class. I found some of them shallow and repetitive. Thus began my habit of not-studying-my-lessons-unless-it-has-to-do-with-numbers. I don't just randomly pick books as well. If I'm in the right mood, I might try a new genre or topic.

I'd have to point out as well that although I'm huge Koontz fan, I'm not particularly fond of the suspense/action/horror genre. I've read more textbooks and journals than novels as well. But I always keep an open mind.

When I got to college, I had more money to spare for books so I started collecting some that I can't find in libraries. I also got into poetry and I found more time to write (although I get lazy from time to time).

I started late but I don't think my life will be complete without books anymore. Although it's just one of my many hobbies, I put as much passion to it as when I draw or play video games. It lets me see the world through different perspectives, and not to mention, help keep my lazy mind well-oiled and in good condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! Please keep it clean.