Featured Post

Popol Vuh: The Definitive Edition of the Mayan Book of the Dawn of Life and the Glories of Gods and Kings by Dennis Tedlock

This volume can be divided into two parts. First is the introduction of the Popol Vuh; second, the translation of the work itself. It is...

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Thank You Tim Duncan!

It’s been months since Tim Duncan announced his retirement this year. As you may have guessed I have been avoiding the subject for a long time (look at the date of the last article I posted on this blog). When I watched the San Antonio Spurs play on opening night for the 2016-2017 season, I was not sure how I felt. With Tim gone, I did not have a reason to keep watching. And yet, not watching would also mean an insult to what he had built for 19 years. The team is still a top competitor, although it gets more attention now than it used to when Tim was still at his best. I feel both sad and grateful. Sad because it took years and then a heartbreaking loss in 2013 for Tim to be recognized. Yes, he had multiple awards in the past, but he was snubbed and even dubbed the most boring superstar. The recognition came in so late. I am happy because he had built a foundation of winning that has rubbed off on the younger roster. I am glad we have a Kawhi Leonard but I’m not sure if he’d stick to the Spurs like Tim did. Tim was the Spurs. He was the reason I kept watching even when the league slowly became a more commercialized sports media where timid players who hated the spotlight don’t shine at all no matter how talented. I am relieved that Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker are still around. I have watched them throughout their NBA careers (I was five years late for Tim) so if they decide to retire too, I’d probably feel the same. I’m scared too that I’m seeing a new team in the Spurs. They still haven’t lost their signature defense and passing but there’s one familiar spot that is now missing.

I’m not very athletic myself though I have competed in table tennis when I was younger and I danced for several occasions. If you ask me to play one-on-one basketball, you’d easily beat me. It was Tim who lit my interest in basketball when I was 14. Before Tim, I was a fan of the local basketball league in my country so I’m not entirely ignorant about the game. In grade school I was a fan of Benjie Paras, another big man. But I was too young then and I did not pay attention to a lot of details. I was most excited during the finals but I ignored regular games (hey, a kid has to do other things too besides watch TV).

I saw a guy wearing a Tim Duncan jersey in the music video It’s Going Down by The X-Ecutioners featuring Wayne Static, Mike Shinoda and Mr. Hahn. I must admit I have never heard of the Spurs then. The jersey looked really cool because of the colors and the logo, something different from the usual NBA jerseys I see. I wanted to know who that Duncan was and why was that guy wearing his jersey.

The first time I watched Tim play was in the second round of the Western Conference Playoffs in 2002 several days after my 14th birthday. I was scanning through different channels on the television because I was bored. Then I saw familiar jerseys running around against egg yellow jerseys. I called my sister and said I found the Spurs. They were down 2-1 against the Los Angeles Lakers in that series. I did not care about Kobe or Shaq. I was intrigued by the player wearing number 21 in the other team. Hell, I did not care that they were losing. The tall guy looked so graceful. His defense was effective and he was even one of the best big man passers in the league. They lost that game by the way and were eliminated in the Playoffs. I did not care at all. I found a reason to watch the next season.

My sisters and I vowed we would watch the first Spurs game on TV next time. But before that, we researched and watched other basketball games on television. Where the hell was Duncan? We could not even find a lot of articles about him. He was rarely featured in sports segments too. Wasn’t he the 2002 regular season MVP? That’s when I learned how elusive Tim was to the media. Oh, I liked the guy even more. Contrary to the superstar athletes who make it a point to tell everyone almost everything, Tim was a private person. So how would I get news about him? I bought magazines to research about his career. Even before the 2003 season began, I already had posters of Tim. During offseason I watched the World Basketball Championship or FIBA World Championship. Yugoslavia and Argentina played in the finals. That was the first time I saw Manu Ginobili. When it was announced in the news that he was joining the Spurs, I was so happy because I knew they got a great player.

2003 was a great year for the Spurs and for new fans like myself. Tim became a back-to-back MVP and the Spurs won the championship against New Jersey Nets for what was David Robinson’s farewell season. Even after that great season though, people talked about how Tim did not deserve the MVP; that he was still boring and he would not do as well without Robinson next time.

But Parker and Ginobili blossomed into superstars. In 2005 and 2007, they won championships together and became known as the Big Three. The 2005 Finals was the most intense series I have ever watched. Anyone who considers himself a basketball lover would have appreciated the battle of two of the best defensive teams in the league. Both the Spurs and the Detroit Pistons were the only teams to have dismantled the Lakers, and yet as expected, no one wanted to watch. It was like everyone ignored the downfall of the superstar team. In 2007, LeBron James arrived in the league with so much hype. Although he was quite deserving of the accolades, I did not understand how people were saying the Cleveland Cavaliers might beat the boring Spurs.

After that came the long years of waiting and hoping. I never gave up. I stayed with them. Although there were a lot of exciting talents in the league, no one else was like Tim. I stayed with the Spurs no matter how many times I read or heard that they were old and washed up. It was even difficult to get Spurs merchandise in my country. There were years I refused to watch the Playoffs and the Finals when they were eliminated. Even expecting a good spot at the All-Star was not something I looked forward to because I know Tim would be the least of their concerns when covering the events. But I took what was handed to me. If there was a chance that I’d get to watch them on TV I’d stay up late or put off what I was doing. I even watch the replay of losing games in the Playoffs just so I could see them until they were eliminated. I did not care. I took the heartbreak and the joys. The more they were ignored, the more I supported them. I think it’s also part of the reason why I did not choose to cheer for other teams.

Over the years, it became easier to read news online about the Spurs. I could also talk to fans from other parts of the world and share our love for the team. Tim was still elusive but at least I had more photos and articles about the Spurs.

When Kawhi Leonard came to the Spurs, I thought he’d be just like any other rookie. But she showed promise. His personality also reminded me of someone. Hey, maybe the Spurs found another Tim. His play style is a lot different but yes, he does seem like another Tim, albeit a quieter version of Tim. The younger players provided me hope. Maybe Tim will get another shot at the title before he retires. They always had the chance after all. Throughout his career, the Spurs were always in the Playoffs, something not every superstar can brag about. When they finally reached the Finals in 2013 after 7 years I was thrilled and also fearful. I knew that LeBron was way better than when the Spurs beat his team in 2007. My Spurs were composed of veterans and young alike, but would that be enough against a super team? I was scared that it might be Tim’s last series. Although they eventually lost that Finals, the first time the Spurs lost in a Finals series, they gained the long-overdue respect from basketball fans everywhere. They saw how Tim worked. They saw how his leadership and composure has rubbed off on his teammates. They were not troublemakers and trash-talkers out to get good photo angles for dunk shots. Almost everyone called them a classy team.

I was impressed with their performance. No one expected that they could give Miami Heat a hard time. They had to earn that trophy. They had to fight through 7 games.

It was a heartbreaking loss though. I cried after games 6 and 7. Especially after game 7. Seeing Tim work so hard after game 6 was something I could not take off my mind for months. There were so many questions after that too. Will they disband? Will Tim and Manu retire? Will coach Pop be fired? It did not help in my recovery at all. So it was like being raised from the dead when I heard that no major changes will be made in the team. Tim and Manu stayed and it looked like they were going to recover.

2014 was a journey to redemption. The regular season went by so fast. It was like a prelude to the twilight of Tim’s career. The younger guys put up excellent numbers. Tim provided reliable support but he was no longer the go-to guy. It was still heartbreaking but I’m glad that there is an assurance that he will leave the Spurs still a competitive team. The journey to the 2014 Finals seemed so easy. Their frustration became their fuel. Spurs fans like me did not worry about the regular season or the Playoffs. We knew we were going to get to the Finals because we had something to prove. The competition was not as intense as the previous year. Spurs won easily (and it was slightly disappointing). They wowed everyone with their passing and defense. Their passes in particular looked like poetry in motion, something that other fans have ignored for years but are now starting to appreciate. Yes, it has been one of the team’s strengths for years. Their defensive plays as well. But a key to all that is Tim. I sometimes forget that he has not won the Defensive Player of the Year award despite being named to the NBA ALL-defensive teams several times. With that win in 2014, Tim became the only player to have won at least one championship in three different decades.

His last Playoffs game in 2016 was very difficult for me. No one knew what he was planning except perhaps for his coaches and teammates. When my sister kept telling me it might be his last game, I was trying not to cry. He could still play another year if he wanted. The team was in good shape and he does not have to play as many minutes as he used to. It was a very Tim way to retire without the farewell tour and the spotlight.

I respect him for his decision even if it broke my heart. It’s going to be more difficult now to find news about him and I will miss voting religiously for an All-Star spot. I will miss watching him play. I’ll miss staying up late at night to watch replays of games I have missed or wake up early to watch him on television live. There are so many things I wish I could have done. I wish I had the opportunity to watch one of his games in person. I wish I had more merchandise. I wish I watched more games.

I will be forever thankful though for what he has done for me. I am a complete stranger to him but he has touched my life, and I’m sure many Tim fans feel the same way. I’m sure his teammates, coaches and other players will miss him more. He was part of my turbulent teenage years. I watched his joys and sorrows while I struggled through college and got a job. He was one of my favorite topics among friends and family. He was even one of my favorite subjects whenever I draw or paint. His strong character inspired me. It’s like losing a friend or family member now that I can’t see him play anymore. But I am thankful for everything that he has done. I hope he is happy with his great contributions to the sport and with the inspiration he provided for the fans. I hope is he happy with his friends and his family. I hope to see him till he grows old and have grandkids. Maybe one day I’ll get to meet him and ask for an autograph and have a photo together. I wish him the best. He deserves happiness for all that he has given to fans like me. Thank you for the tears and smiles. Thank you for the funny commercials you were in and for being in that Tony Parker music video that made me giggle. Thank you for staying with the Spurs. Thank you for being a model of a class athlete. Thank you and see you around, big man!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! Please keep it clean.