Featured Post

Popol Vuh: The Definitive Edition of the Mayan Book of the Dawn of Life and the Glories of Gods and Kings by Dennis Tedlock

This volume can be divided into two parts. First is the introduction of the Popol Vuh; second, the translation of the work itself. It is...

Thursday, July 04, 2013

Thank You to the San Antonio Spurs of 2012-2013





It has been fourteen days since my San Antonio Spurs lost for the first time in a finals series. I admit I cried after game seven although game six was even more painful. We almost won. Almost. Both teams played really well and it was only a matter of who made the most mistakes and which team would capitalize on those mistakes. What makes this loss even harder is that I didn't not know how to deal with it. Losing in the playoffs was easier to accept because it's not that close to the final goal. I was always so confident that we'd never lose. 




When I learned that Miami Heat won against Indiana Pacers in the ECF I was a bit apprehensive. I've been hearing rumors about rigged games and stuff like that but I'd like to believe all teams have a fair chance at getting the championship. After all three of the last four teams that remained were low-market teams including the Spurs. I also thought it would be a great opponent for the Spurs. The last four times they went to the finals they didn't get a huge audience. It was a great opportunity to go against a popular team and with everyone saying the Spurs would be beaten completely. For the last six years people have counted out this team saying we're too old and boring. It was unfair knowing my team is better than most. The Spurs has been consistent and competitive. I don't know why people think they're boring but the way this team plays is such a joy to watch. The beautiful passing, the great defense, the talented and humble players and coaching staff who can get things done without showing off too much --- those are the things I've enjoyed in this team.





This season's roster is very talented. Tim is reliable as always. Manu, although he is not the Manu he used to be, still is a big factor; while Tony is at his prime and is the best point guard in the league right now. Then there are the younger players, the future faces of the Spurs. The supporting players also stepped up, showing everyone who haven't watched the Spurs closely for the past years that this team has been so good at developing talented players.





In the first few days after game seven so many things came to my mind. So many what ifs and whys and should haves. It hurts to see people criticizing some of the players for making mistakes. But pointing fingers won't change the outcome. There might have been some bad decisions and silly mistakes that cost us our fifth championship but I'd also like to believe we just got unlucky and the championship wasn't really for us. I hope, as a devoted fan of this amazing franchise, that the team would use this experience to work harder and stay healthy next season. The younger players can also learn from this experience and the example set by Tim, who I think was the only player who's been consistent in the playoffs and finals.





It isn't easy to ignore all the criticisms, especially all the bad things people say about Manu. If the Heat lost in game six I'm sure a popular player from that team would be the one to suffer the kind of treatment Manu's getting now because of his mistakes. But my team lost and they won. Whatever mistakes the other team made would just fade into history and people would just keep telling us we "choked."




If you ask me if I'm ashamed of the Spurs, no, definitely not. This is a great team and they had a great season. And even if they lost, at least they lost to a great team in an epic seven game series. I'm still proud of the San Antonio Spurs.

Go Spurs Go!




2012-2013 Spurs Roster
Tim Duncan
Tony Parker
Manu Ginobili
Kawhi Leonard
Danny Green
Gary Neal
Tiago Splitter
Boris Diaw
Matt Bonner
DeJuan Blair
Cory Joseph
Tracy McGrady
Patty Mills
Nando de Colo
Aaron Baynes

Coach: Gregg Popovich
Assistant Coaches:
Brett Brown
Chip Engelland
Chad Forcier
Ime Udoka
Mike Budenholzer
Strength-and Conditioning Coach: Matt Herring
Athletic Trainer: Will Sevening

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! Please keep it clean.