Featured Post

Popol Vuh: The Definitive Edition of the Mayan Book of the Dawn of Life and the Glories of Gods and Kings by Dennis Tedlock

This volume can be divided into two parts. First is the introduction of the Popol Vuh; second, the translation of the work itself. It is...

Friday, April 29, 2011

I Did It!

Two weeks ago I finally did what I've been wanting to do for three years - I have finally graduated. These past few days that I took a break, I had time to think about what I have done, what I have learned and what I wanted to do in the future.

I already miss UP Mindanao. For seven years I have learned and experienced a lot of things that I would never have in any other institution. When I was in high school I vowed to study in University of the Philippines and nowhere else. UP lang, ayoko na sa iba. It was a quest to redeem myself, my pride. I knew I was among the brightest students in school but I cannot prove that because I am not a consistent honors student. But to be able to manage to get into academic contests and get the high scores in every exam was proof enough for me. My friends tell me I'm too lazy, that's why some people who did not know my capabilities doubt my achievements. I have to admit that that statement is quite true. I was always late and I submit projects only if I feel like it - but still manage to get one of the highest scores every time. Study habits? I don't have them. I might sound arrogant but I didn't find any need to study at home because I did not find any challenge in what was taught during grade school and high school. I can say the same for my younger sisters. Doreen was a consistent honor student since kinder. Marianne graduated Magna cum laude. And Veronica is like me in a lot of aspects.

I spent more time reading books that are not related to my courses. It was also unfortunate that because I wasn't a consistent honors student, teachers readily dismiss me when considering candidates for contests and even as staff for the school paper. Even school has politics. I was also very shy.

I'm not gonna go on and on trying to glorify and justify myself. But here's what I have to say to the people who did not believe in me - your loss. The opportunity I've been wanting to have was finally given to me. Although I did not graduate with honors again, I'm proud I'm one of the elite students in the best University in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! Please keep it clean.